Scrapbooking is a very popular creative and artistic hobby, often considered kitsch. It’s certainly this retro side that we like, like a return to our roots or a return to childhood where we spend a lot of time cutting, gluing, assembling…
The rules of scrapbooking
The rules of scrapbooking are simple, there aren’t any!
It is really a matter of letting your imagination run wild and using your favorite materials.
There is no average budget either because it is impossible to compare a scrapbooking that you are going to make with beautiful stationery paper and a scrapbooking made from scrap objects.
The end result is never better because the budget is bigger, it has nothing to do with it. It’s really your ability to create and use the various elements wisely and to concoct artistic compositions that make the difference.
Materials needed to start scrapbooking
As scrapbooking has no rules, the number of supplies needed is up to you. You can make different formats, but if you want to compile your creations, you can get ready-made binders, or get a classic binder and decorate it yourself.
Here is a list to give you some creative ideas:
- A pencil and an eraser to draw and sketch your creative ideas
- A ruler. You will need a ruler in order to draw lines, but also as a guide for the cutter. Use a metal ruler for cutting, otherwise, the cutter will trim on your ruler.
- A pair of scissors. You will need a high-quality pair of scissors in order to be able to make clean and fine cuts. This is not the time to compromise! Even if you are not happy about the price, think about the fact that you’ll be using your scissors all the time, so it’s worth investing in something good. A poor quality pair of scissors can make scrapbooking look like not so much fun anymore.
- A cutter – the magic tool for perfectly straight cuts. As with scissors, a cutter can be expensive, but it’s better to wait until you have the budget to buy a high-quality one rather than rush into a cheap cutter that risks making a mess of your paper and cardboard.
- Double-sided adhesive and its dispenser – you’re going to use a lot of double-sided adhesives and if you don’t want to get frustrated every time you need a piece, buy a dispenser. More than just a fun gadget, it will make scrapbooking much easier and fun.
- Stick glue for the paper and liquid glue for the solid elements that you are going to add to your decorations.
- A cutting mat: rather than cutting into your work table, a cutting mat will allow you to work very comfortably, it really is a must-have.
- Scrapbooking paper. Scrapbooking papers are designed to decorate your scrapbooking albums. These sheets of paper in various colors are on the top of your priority list.
With these supplies, you can already start making beautiful creations. As you progress, you will be able to add cutting tools such as a punch, ready-made stencils or stencils that you are going to make.
Alright, it’s time to get to work and get creative! If you have any questions regarding scrapbooking don’t hesitate to leave a comment and I’ll try to answer as detailed as possible. After all, we were all beginners once.