Taking notes, signing papers, filling out applications, writing calligraphy or even illustrating – the ballpoint pen is indispensable in many areas of daily life.
However, as there are several shapes, colors and styles on the market, remember to choose yours according to the design, the ink used, the line of the trip or the accessories that come with the pen. And, of course, always keep your needs in mind – what are you going to use your new ballpoint pen most for?
Choosing a good ballpoint pen can be a tedious task when faced with the many offers on the market. To make your search easier, I have compiled a few models that I found attractive (some that I used) due to their practical and unique features.
I have no doubt you’ll find what you are looking for among my selection!
Montblanc MB 114797
Montblanc has been on the market for a long time and has not lost any of its popularity. The sleek design of this pen will motivate you to write even more, especially since it comes in black.
In addition, it’s made from precious black resin on the body and cap, giving it a particularly refined design.
In the elegant box that comes with it, you will find the pen itself and a user manual that shows you how to use the pen properly. When you hold it in your hand, the writing movements you make will be much smoother than what you’re probably used to.
This convenience in handling is due to the compactness and lightness of the pen, with a dimension of 1 x 14 x 1 cm. Moreover, if you intend to five it as ag gift, the box that it is delivered in it’s perfect for any occasion.
- Lightweight and fluid: the weight of this model gives its user a sought-after comfort. It weighs only 200g, allowing you to write faster than usual.
- Compact: the compactness of this pen will not cause your hand to become tired when writing for longer periods of time.
- Elegant: its black precious resin finish gives this pen a stylish look, bringing a touch of originality to your desk.
- Only comes in black: although this pen is pleasing to the eye and I absolutely love the design, its black color may displease some users looking for pens with brighter colors.
Parker 1931634 IM
This pen comes with a retractable tip that will remain protected from wear and tear and the risk of breakage. You also don’t have to worry about it staining your clothes or belongings.
Thanks to its Quinkflow ink, you will write smoothly and evenly on any surface, paper, cardboard. This comes in very handy especially when you need to write something down in a hurry. The ink dries instantly, so you won’t have to worry about scratches or drafts.
Its tapered shape gives you a better grip and permanent control over your strokes, your lines, and curves. This makes it suitable for calligraphy or drawing as well.
- Good gift idea: the careful finishing of the pen makes it a perfect gift for any occasion.
- QuinkFlow ink: not only does it dry in no time at all, but it flows smoothly, no matter what you write on.
- Incomplete delivery: some customers complained that they received the pen without its black refill.
This pen has been specially designed to make your writing experience more immersive. Indeed, it takes a contemporary vintage style with a modern retro look.
Moreover, it is elegantly designed in timeless white lacquer and finely guilloche metal. It also stands out with its nickel-plated finish and its wide expert ring. It’s ideal as a gift or as a personal purchase.
You won’t have to worry about the durability of your writing because the ink of this pen is characterized by its particularity to never dry out. In other words, your text will be preserved for years and years to come.
What’s more, the lines of the model are particularly legible, without the slightest ink rejection. As for its size, it measures 17.5 x 6.98 x 3.99 cm with a featherweight of 36g.
- Durable: to keep what you’ve written intact for years to come, the ink in this pen is distinguished by its ability to never dry out.
- Well designed: no handwriting will be overlooked on your sheet of paper.
- Easy to use: you will be able to take notes more quickly, due to the compactness and lightness of this pen.
- Colour: some reviews report that the timeless white lacquer color of this pen appears darker.
Parker Sonnet Ballpoint Pen
In order to slide easily when you write, this pen has a silver cap, chiseled and violing lacquered. In addition, its carefully crafter cap matches the violing section of the pen.
Unlike other models, this pen is characterized by its design, which has left no details to chance. It is designed with six different finished to highlight each component of the pen.
The layout on the section shows a singular aesthetic that you will not find anywhere else. Decorated with a touch of audacity and originality, this pen combines modernity and precision.
In addition, its attributes are coated in pink gold. The pen measures 17.5 x 8.2 x 3.7cm and weighs 226g. As a bonus, it comes with a beautiful case that comes in handy if you plan to give it as a gift to a loved one.
- Unique finishes: all the elements that make up this pen have been specially designed to have six different finishes.
- Modern: in silver, its cap is modernized with designs that match the violin section of the instrument.
- Elegant: the attributes of this ballpoint pen model are covered in pink gold, adding a touch of elegance to your office supplies.
- Expensive: given its particularly unique finish, it’s understandable that the cost of this pen might not seem affordable to everyone.
Pilot Frixion Erasable Rollerball
Because this pen takes advantage of heat-sensitive ink technology, your hand will move with a continuous and smoother motion than usual. Moreover, in case of mistakes or writing errors, you can simply erase them with the FriXion tip.
In order to do this, simply turn the pen over and rub gently on the area to be corrected with the tip. This way, you will be able to erase and start over your writing as many times as you like without having to waste sheets of paper.
This correction capability is due to the fact that the pen tip increases the temperature of the sheet without damaging it.
Ideal for taking notes, it comes with a modern look with tattoo decoration and a tapered barrel. In addition, depending on your needs, you can choose between 3 different ink colors.
- Eraser: when you make mistakes, simply erase the mistake using the FirXion tip of the pen.
- Choice of colors: this model comes with 3 colored pens, you can vary your note-taking according to the degree of importance.
- Convenient: the pen tip uses heat to erase inks while keeping the integrity of the paper intact.
- Not suitable for official documents: due to its special features, this pen is unfortunately only intended for school or personal projects.
BIC 4 Colours Grip Pro Ball Pens
The comfortable grip of the BIC ballpoint pens allows you to write comfortably for as many hours as you want without tiring your fingers.
With the 4 different colors of this pen, you can vary your note-taking or illustrations according to the importance of writing. Instead of 4 different pens, the choice of colors is made by the retractable option of a single one.
With its 4 micron shaped balls, the result of your writing will keep a certain level of cleanliness and fluidity. In fact, the ink flow will always be constant regardless of the pressure you apply to the pen.
With this in mind, the thickness of the writing is 0.4 mm while the tip is 1.0 mm. Moreover, the pen can be recharged and each color offered promises a writing length of about 2km! I think that’s pretty impressive, don’t you?
- Versatile: with a single pen, you will be able to choose between 4 different colors
- Convenient: with this ballpoint pen, your writing is smoother due to its 1.0 mm tip and 0.4 mm writing thickness.
- Easy to handle: due to its 175g featherweight, this pen allows you to write much faster than usual.
- Glued barcode: the sticker on the pen must be removed before use, which can leave traces of glue on the pen.
Cross Edge Jet Black Selectip Rollerball Pen
This Cross pen that changes ink color at the same time as it changes refill will delight those who regularly take clear notes or fans of drawing and calligraphy.
It comes in a Cross gift box and makes a great gift for a loved one. At the same time, the resin mixed with its elegant metal is a proof of solidity, but also of style.
The manufacturer, having no doubt about the quality and robustness of this pen, guarantees it for life.
The uncommon opening system of the pen changes from the traditional models and will amuse you every time you use it. And despite frequent, even daily use, it’s hard to get tired of it.
Once you’re done, just click on it to retract the tip and prevent it from getting damaged quickly. Thanks to this system, you save time writing rather than removing a cap and putting it back each time.
- Sliding opening: you can open the pen with one hand, which is very handy when you need to hold a notebook or something else in the other hand.
- Reduces waste: in addition to being a refillable ballpoint pen, it can write in red, purple, black or blue on its own. Simply replace the cartridge and you’re done.
- Attachment of the fragile cap: the plastic-coated attachment above the pen lead is said by some customers to wear out more quickly, which is detrimental to the aesthetics of the pen.
S.T.Dupont D-265206 D-Initial
For those who appreciate elegance at work or in any other circumstance, I present a model that meets this criterion.
With an appearance that attracts admiring glances, the S.T Dupont D-Initial is colored white and gold. It looks great, it’s only 13 cm long and weighs only 46 grams. What’s not to like?
In addition, this pen has a fluid tip that resists the small obstacles it may encounter while you’re making notes on your diary or notepad.
- Lightweight: small in size and weight, it fits well in your pocket.
- Refillable: everybody appreciates the reusable side of this pen, knowing that it can be filled with ink once it’s empty.
- Glides well: the tip is as smooth and remains fluid despite the small residues that might be left on the writing surface.
- High price: although there is no doubt about the high quality, not everyone buys a pen at this price.
Cross Classic Century
Cross Classic Century ballpoint pen is among the most popular models on the market right now. Suitable for both men and women, it has a unisex and minimalistic design that you can use for yourself in any environment.
It’s 13 cm tall, weighs only 14 grams – basically, you won’t even feel its presence if you have it in your pocket. It’s one of the most lightweight pens on the market. I love it!
With a chrome-plated finish and clean lines all around, it fits comfortably in the hand and provides a comfortable fit. In addition, in situations where you run out of ink, there’s the possibility of recharging the pen.
To top it all off, the pen comes in a very attractive case, ideal if you plan to gift it.
- The mechanism: the mechanism allows the pen to be used in several ways.
- Lifetime warranty: we can’t forget the fact that the pen comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Common appearance: this pen, despite its quality and performance, looks pretty boring.
A ballpoint pen might seem like one of the simplest tools to buy, but it’s a bit more complicated to know how to buy at the best value, or where to buy a new ballpoint pen that meets all your requirements.
That’s why I wrote this buying guide, which will give you some useful tips before choosing your new favorite pen! I will talk about what features to look for, what’s important, what’s not-so-important and how to use it properly.
The first thing you need to define before looking to buy a new ballpoint pen is its color. Ask yourself before you head to the store: what color pen do I want to have? Do you need a pen in a classic color, such as black or blue? Or do you need a pen with a more striking color, like green or red?
In general, most stores will offer you ballpoint pens in sets, because they are basically cheaper models and most of the time you need more than one pen. So think about the variety of pens you want to have.
Some pen sets will offer you the same color in several copies, a set of 10 blue pens for example. Others, on the other hand, will opt for an assortment of colors.
So it’s up to you to decide whether or not a set of pens in different colors will be more useful to you, whether you’re really going to use them all or just buy one.
Accustomed to the classic designs offer by some well-known brands since our childhood, (yes, BIC comes to mind) we sometimes forget that a ballpoint pen can have very different designs.
There are, of course, the classic styles, but there are also other styles that are a bit fancier, or on the contrary, a bit more minimal that could better suit your personality.
It’s therefore useful to know from the start what you are looking for before you even start looking. If you want, you can even buy a ballpoint pen featuring your favorite TV series, for example. Sky’s the limit! And your wallet, of course.
How To Use A Ballpoint Pen?
With its great practicality and ease of use, a ballpoint pen is indeed the writing instrument for excellence. It has quickly become democratic and has invaded offices and schools.
Although this functional and easy side continues to appeal to this day, knowing how to properly use a ballpoint pen is a guarantee of a good writing experience.
Begin by understanding how the ballpoint pen works
A real revolution in the field of writing, the ballpoint pen works thanks to the circular movement of its ball, which refills with ink as it moves. This operation avoids the risk of smudges, stains and ink leaks.
In addition, the ink in the ballpoint pen dries quickly because it is thick.
Choosing the right ballpoint pen
A ballpoint pen is not chosen randomly. In fact, it comes in several tips of different diameters, which are chosen according to the type of writing of each one.
For example, if you are interested in fine writing, you need to opt for a ballpoint pen with a fine point of 0.3 mm. For medium writing, a ballpoint pen with a tip between 0.5 mm and 0.7 mm is suitable. Finally, if you need large writing, choose a ballpoint pen with a tip between 0.8 mm and 1 mm.
Hold your ballpoint pen tightly
As soon as the little schoolchildren start learning how to write with a ballpoint pen, the teacher teaches them how to hold their pen properly.
The best way to handle a ballpoint pen is to hold it more or less vertically so that the ink can flow well. Holding a ballpoint pen at an angle as you do with a fountain pen, does not allow the ink to flow properly.
When to use a ballpoint pen
As the ballpoint pen is the most common and popular writing instrument available, it is perfectly suited for everyday writing tasks.
Its advantages, such as no smudges, fine, clean lines and a tendency to dry quickly make it an essential pen for calligraphy and illustrating, too.
Storing your ballpoint pen properly
When you’re done using your ballpoint pen, make sure to store it properly. This will prevent nasty leaks in case the tip of the refill accidentally comes into contact with the paper.
For this purpose, it is advisable to store your ballpoint pen with the refill retracted into the pen body. In addition, to keep your pen looking like new for as long as possible, remember to store it in a special pen case. This will prevent it from being scratched and worn out by rubbing.
Replacing the refill of a ballpoint pen
It is always advisable to check whether the refill you have chosen for your ballpoint pen is suitable for your writing instrument. There are different types of ballpoint pen refills, some of which are specially designed to refill specific brands of pens.